Thursday, August 28, 2008

Passing Judgment

Stereotypes are extremely hard to deal with in the world today. Everyone has them against them, everyone has them against someone. And, it really isn’t fair. To walk down the street and hear something about a race, a religion, a culture, presuming that person saying it knows nothing of that race, religion, or culture. It bothers me immensely to hear harsh false statements about groups as a whole, whether they’re meant to be hurtful or not. It frustrates me that the leaders of countries allow their governments to place information to their public about other nations that are false. To us, us meaning Americans, a lot of us look at the Middle East as a region where everyone hates us. Everyone. But, is that really fair? On the flip side, is it fair that they look at us as though we are the ones bringing complete disarray to their world? Neither side is correct. There is no one religion in this world that is ‘right’ or the ‘only one to follow’, why should one be it? Why should the color of someone’s skin determine how they’re going to act and why they act a certain way? Why should the religion of someone determine what they look like? Honestly, is passing absurd judgment even worth it? The study of a culture, race, or religion, should be what people do before passing unfair judgment. People as a whole, throughout the world, need to take a step back and realize because someone looks different, partakes in a different style of living, doesn’t mean they should be mocked. Nothing can be solved over night, but with intelligence and a purpose, anything is possible.

5 comments:

Victoria Jackson said...

I completely agree with you on this subject. It is not fair that we judge other groups of people, not only in the Middle East but in our own country. I am tired of people bashing other groups without knowing anything about them. Walking by anywhere you can here people gossiping and talking about others when they have no background evidence to support their claim. But as you said it is also not fair that the Middle East judges us. So many Americans have no control over what goes over there and they blame the whole country. So people just need to stop being so judgmental and blameful without knowing the story behind it.

mattjlindner said...

I agree with most of what you said. I don't think we should be judging other people simply because of where they are from or the color of their skin. however, you say that a lot of Americans look at the middle east as a place where everyone hates us. yeah, I can see how thats seems pretty stereotypical, but it is justified. When the only experience a person has with another group of people is bad, they are going to form a negative opinion. You also brought up religion. You said there is no religion in the world that is right. Well, the majority of the people from the middle east are Isalm. This is a religion that does feel that it is the only right one. So much so, that large groups of the people who practice it feel a need to harm anybody who doesn't. By all means, I am not saying that everyone from the middle east is out to kill us, but iI do understand why people have formed the opinions they have of the middle east.

natalie said...

I agree with you, I think that people shouldn’t judge one another based on race, gender, or religion. I hate when people judge you before they really get to know you and then when they do get to know you they change their minds and say that now they do like who you really are. But people who judge beforehand are shallow and selfish to me because they don’t even know you and they are already jumping to conclusions. I dislike when people walked by the needy and think that they are a mess because they have nothing going on with their lives now. But in fact they might of once had a job, had money, and food on the table but now they don’t because maybe they just lost their job or house. We should be able to talk to them and help them get their lives back on track.

Stefan Hicks said...

I have to begin by saying I personally appreciate you having an open mind. I agree in a sense to what you’re saying about the Middle East but I agree with you the most when you’re talking about religion. I find it ridiculous that people are so set in their religion being the “right” one that they are willing to force their “right religion” on everyone else. That’s great for those people who believe in their religion and that’s their prerogative but I find it offensive that people need to tell others or “witness” if you will to further drive their views. I’m a firm believer in the phrase “live and let live” and it’s how I try to live my life. I don’t condemn those people who would classify themselves as religious but it’s just so ironic to me that people who may say that act the total opposite. If it wasn’t apparent enough hypocrites are my biggest pet peeve and I wish that all the “Sunday morning sinners” would take a look in the mirror before their fingers begin pointing to the flaws in other people lives.

Laura said...

I completely agree with what you are saying. I believe people in this world are way too stereotypical. Just because someone looks different, acts different, talks different, has a different religion, or has anything different, does not make them a bad person. Just because one group of people in the Middle East did something horrible, we stereotype and say that ALL people from the Middle East are terrorists. If we are going to do that then we can say that all men are rapists because some guy, somewhere, raped a woman. But we don’t look at it that way, because that stereotype is toward us or people we know aren’t rapists. Everyone is okay with passing judgement towards other people, but as soon as they are judged, they get pissed off.