Tuesday, or Veterans Day, we all had the day off. No class, no problem. Monday night my friend and I drove home, spent the night watching our favorite TV show Lost, and on Tuesday we went back to high school. We visited friends who were still stuck there, we saw teachers who we had, and we even gave little Q&A sessions about what college was like and what the kids needed to know in the future. It was great. High school was an important time in my life, and the friends I made there, and a few of the teachers I had the pleasure of having helped shape me into who I am today. There were two imparticular, two teachers that is, that had to be some of my favorites ever. I could relate to them, talk to them, annoy them, and I knew that if I ever needed anything, I could go to them with the answer. My sophomore year was the first time I had either of them, and I had them both at the same time; Mrs. Priddy 2nd hour for Chemistry, and Mrs. MacNeill 3rd hour for Algebra 2.
At the beginning I was a little unsure of my math teacher, but Mrs. Priddy I loved right off the bat. I made myself known, I was always willing to volunteer for stupid crap we had to do, etc etc. As my high school career went on, I became her undisputed favorite - last year her husband who I had for Statistics told me so - but I noticed if there was really anything outside of school that I need help with, or even if I just wanted to chat, she was very careful to not cross any crazy lines. That's very professional, and I understood that while I was attending my high school. Tuesday when I went to visit her, she was very standoffish, considerably more than when I was there! It really made me think that perhaps the relationship woth one of my favorite teachers was coming to an abrubt end.
Switching gears to Mrs. MacNeill, my 10th grade math teacher, the circumstances are comepletely different. After a few weeks back in 10th grade, I realized just how awesome this lady was. first off, she was way young, only ten years older than me, which made it very easy for me to relate to and talk to about some of my stupid dillemas. She was different then my chemistry teacher, I didn't really annoy her outside of classroom time that first year I knew her, but during class, and even when I needed to talk, she was always willing to sit and listen. As I grew older I TAed for her, I popped in to talk to her unannounced, and everytime (if she wasn't busy) she would stop and discuss everything I brought up. she became more than a teacher, she became a friend. When I visited Tarpon High School, I went to see her first, and she noticed me, seemed happy and surprised to see me, as a friend would.
Knowing that only one of my favorite teacher s could separate me from a once student made me realize that some people are just stuck in the past, and others are willing t understand that I'm not the idiot high schooler I once was. It was great to see everyone, whether they acknowledged me as an alumni or not. But all in all, the friendship between myself and my 10th grade math teacher is something I wish to pursue and keep strong. As weird as it sounds, it really isn't. She's not just a teacher, and I'm not just a student. No. We're two people who share common intrests, isn't that what friends are?
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
So, since i know you. Its not weird.
I don't think i would ever go back to my high schools again though. To many bad experiences. I probably would go and e-mail a teacher or two, but never go back.
I wasn't that attached to either of my high schools. My first one all i cared about was band, and well the old band director is gone. Then second one i went to all i cared about was friends. And i have all my friend here in tampa, no srsly i do.
Its really cool that you were so attached to your high school.
It would be interesting to go back to high school, but i wouldn't do it for fun.
Post a Comment