Monday, September 8, 2008

Mall Mess

There we were, sitting on the shuttle that takes usd to the mall. When we arrived, a plethera of stores awaited our money to be spent. We drifted for a while, looking for the perfect store to waste our money in first. After a while, boredom started to set in, afterall, how long can one spend at the mall just window shopping. That sucks. To top it off, we weren't on the mood for food court food, so we could skip on that delectable pastime. So, two of us out of the group decided we were going to bail, and head back to campus. We made our way through the unfamiliar mall, and headed towards the shuttle pick up point. We sat, waited, waited, and still waited, until my friend Andrew realized that the shuttle stopped running and hour and a half ago at five, the time at which we had arrived to the mall. So there we were, stranded at the mall on a friday night, and it was growing dark. Luckily I wasn't alone, or tears would've started pouring from my fearful eyes, but I contained myself, and preceeded to call everyone I knew at school who had a car. No one answered, and those that did were gone for the weekend. Andrew reccommended walking what would've been an hour and a half walk, and there was no way I was doing that in an unfamiliar place! So we decided to see what the city bus could do for our sorry souls. We found a bus that would take us to the Transit Station, and we prayed that a bus from there would take us safely back to the promised land of USF. Thankfully, there was one, and it was bus number 6 that drove us back to where we belonged. I was a little scared and nervous to take the city bus, considering I've never done that before without parental supervision, but it was time for new experiences, and this one I think should go down in the history of me. So what was the lesson learned? Yea, you're right! Don't take the shuttle to the mall after school of Friday's.

2 comments:

Atty said...

This story defiantly made me laugh. Maybe not out loud but defiantly to myself. Its funny what type of situations you can get yourself into when you go into new places. Everyone has that story of that one time when I went here, or moved there. It’s like each town is has its own culture sometimes. If you’ve visited a lot of cities or moved a few times, you can realize just what I’m talking about. No two places are alike. I liked how you had your blog set up in a story manor. Even memoir-ish (I think haha). It's always entertaining to hear other peoples problems. And I mean entertaining in a broad term. Like entertaining from learning and listening and growing from other's stories and mishaps. Also since we're studying to be psychologist its kind of has to be entertaining for us! But none the less, it kept me entertained and I hope that was the point of your blog.

Stefan Hicks said...

It’s so weird to me to think that a place like University Mall (I’m assuming you live on campus) is unfamiliar to you because I have lived in Tampa my whole life and I grew up at University Mall since there was a time it was the only mall. But I can agree now that it is much more intimidating now than it used to be, believe me it didn’t used to be. But if you’re really looking to get some shopping done you should know the other malls like Citrus Park and International are my usual choices because they have a lot more to choose from in my opinion. But I agree that college is just a wave of new experiences and if you’re living on your own for the first time I’m going to have to go out on a limb here and say you have a lot more in store.