Can anyone begin to explain that weird mix of feelings you get when you find out something new and then you see that thing everwhere? It is so weird when it happens, and depending on the type of information it is, a person either loves it or hates it. It has happened to everyone; you find out what car your crush drives and you see it everywhere, you hear a song you love and you hear it more than you ever thought possible, or you learn about a new animal, let's give an example of bonobos*, and you see the term or a picture more than ever before. Let's face it though, no matter how much you like your crush, that song, or that animal, it gets so annoying seeing that newly found knowledge everywhere! At some point don't you just want it to go away? The problem there is that, the reason it goes away, is because you have found something new to focus on, and that concept is even more frustrating. To get rid of an annoyance, anotherone has to arise? How discomforting. But, when does an annoyance become something a person looks forward to? When does it become the point when all a person does is look for that new thing to turn up everywhere? Another funny trick we play on ourselves. Exactly the moment we start looking for something random, we can't find it. Just when you think your crushes car is ubiquitos and just when you begin looking for it, it's no where. Just when you want to find an article on a bonobo, there aren't any. The car ride all you want to hear is that new song on the radio, it doesn't play. It is amazing the tricks our minds can play on us when we learn something new, and when you stop to think about it, how hard it is to control what our brain does! An old saying says that people are to "roll with the punches", and it looks like when our brain is in control, we might as well, or we could really end up going completely insane!
*A bonobo is a type of chimp, and yes, I see mentions of them everwhere thanks to Anthropology class.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
So I totally know what you are talking about. My ex-boyfriend and I just broke up a month ago. I feel like every random name I hear is Zach Zach Zach. I was even driving, minding my own business when suddenly I see a random restaurant called Zachary's. Like you said, I feel like I see his car everywhere on the road now. Whereas when we were going out I never saw it!! It's like just get out of my head already!!!!! Grrr! It's so frustrating. By the way, I think we are in the same Anthropology class: 3:05 Dr. Davis? I remember hearing her say "Rachel" and I looked to see who had my name and it looked like you haha.
Post a Comment